Seer Green Parish Council has been a burial authority since 1938 with the first burials taking place in 1940. Green Wood was purchased by the Parish Council from the DuPre estate for £475.18 expressly for the purpose of providing a burial ground in the village since there was no further space in the Holy Trinity Churchyard.
Green Wood covers 4.4 acres with the cemetery taking 0.45 acres of this area. There have been two applications to extend the cemetery, one in 1989 and the second in 1991 (to extend by another 0.25 acres), both were refused by Chiltern District Council. The second application went to appeal and was also dismissed by the Department of the Environment. In 1989 a Tree Preservation Order was put on Green Wood by CDC to protect the future of the wood.
Information for Burials
The cemetery is now over three quarters full and space is at a premium. In 2008 the Parish Council took the decision to stop the pre-purchase of graves and these can now only be purchased at time of passing. Also new graves (both cremation and full plots) are only available to Seer Green residents in order to ensure that sufficient burial space is available for many more years.
For information on permitted memorials please see the linked document.
For guidelines on tending graves please see the linked document.
For any further cemetery information or for records on existing graves please contact the Parish Clerk on 01494 874233.